f77 performance

T S Lande bassen at oslo-vax.ARPA
Fri Nov 30 18:32:38 AEST 1984

	 A user on our VAX-11/780 are running performance-tests on
	 different machines. The program is aprox. 7000 lines of
	 FORTRAN. The performance on the 780 is only 0.75 of a 750
	 running VMS. The comparison was done between computer-bound
	 parts of the program. When it comes to I/O it's even worse.

	 I have heard that the f77-compiler is not too good. Is this
	 the main reason or is UNIX giving less troughput than VMS?
	 What about C? Would C-coded programs increase performance
	 significantly?

	 Bassen