can't restart rlogin daemon after single user

John Robert LoVerso loverso at sunybcs.UUCP
Fri Nov 16 03:39:23 AEST 1984

> Every week we take our 11/750 running 4.2BSD down to single-user for
> backups.  Almost every week the rlogin daemon refuses to run upon
> return to multi-user operations.
> Does anyone know why rlogind didn't die cleanly?  The backups are done
> early in the morning and as afar as I know there are no active rlogin
> connections at the time we go to single-user.  However there are
> undoubtedly some in state FIN_WAIT_2 due to the infamous bug.
>
> We have no problems with any of the other network daemons.

We had the same problem on three of our systems running 4.2 (a 780 and
two 750s).  After two to three days, rlogind would refuse to run anymore.
Not having the time to track this down, we just agreed upon to have a
full reboot done after dumps were completed.  If there is a REAL fix,
I'd like to know...

	John
--
John Robert LoVerso @ SUNY Buffalo (716-636-3004)
LoVerso%Buffalo at CSNET-RELAY	-or-	..!{watmath|rocksanne}!sunybcs!loverso