Still have invisible processes

Brandon Allbery bsa at ncoast.UUCP
Thu Nov 22 11:47:33 AEST 1984

First, I'd like to thank those people who responded to my earlier posting;
unfortunately, I don't think you got it, and I have even stranger symptoms
to report after a little more testing.

Here is a graphic statement of the problem.  (Note that someone else
has it, too; there is a sh left behind by another user, and the only
thing visible about it is an occasional ``sleep 60''.  His login shell
is sh, so the fact that I use an old buggy csh isn't it.)

Login       Name               TTY  Idle    When            Office
bsa      Brandon Allbery       01        Wed 20:27
stonehen Sammie Chan           02        Wed 20:31

   PID TTY TIME CMD
     0 ?   0:00 swapper
     1 ?   0:12 /etc/init
  3655 co  0:01 - h
  3547 01  0:20 -csh
    24 ?   1:25 /etc/update
    26 ?   1:00 /etc/cron
  3474 02  0:12 -sh MAIL</usr/spool/mail/stonehen TERM<dt100
  3662 02  0:04 vnews
  3663 ?   <defunct>
  3664 01  0:04
  3591 01  0:08
  3636 01  0:12
  3667 01  0:02

Those 4 would be: vi, ps ax, csh, and Gregg's background process.
Everything is visible but the command field; you can get that with pstat
-u.

The weirdest symptom is that I have recently been able to connect at
1200 baud as opposed to 300 (yeech... but the 1200 baud modem won't work
with my terminal and the computer it DOES work with lacks lowercase...)
and also once at 9600 baud; at both of the higher speeds, my processes ARE
visible.  But if I stty 300, they disappear.  (?)  (They don't reappear
if I subsequently stty 1200.)

Any ideas?  Or am I beating my head against a wall?

--bsa
--
  Brandon Allbery @ North Coast Xenix  |   the.world!ucbvax!decvax!cwruecmp!
6504 Chestnut Road, Independence, Ohio |       {atvax!}ncoast!{tdi1!}bsa