automatic re-nicing of processes

Mark Crispin MRC at SU-SCORE.ARPA
Wed Nov 21 01:12:45 AEST 1984

     I'm a bit bewildered as to why this code should be necessary.
Computational processes, especially those with small memory usage,
should have little or no impact on the system except to other
computational processes.  An operating system typically always has
such a process running; it's called the null job and often does
such useful tasks as counting to infinity.

     Isn't Unix's scheduler smart enough to do this?  I thought it
had been rewritten since the toy scheduler which existed in PDP-11
days?
-------