UNIX and real-time

God root%bostonu.csnet at csnet-relay.arpa
Fri Nov 9 04:15:46 AEST 1984

I concur. I built a real-time portable pulmonary testing lab
running on an LSI-11/2 off of only RX02s (with swapping etc).
One person would be filling in questionairres while another
would be getting a lung test (A/D, ~20KHZ, 14bit.) It worked
fine, an occasional hesitation for a few seconds (but with an
RX02 as a swap device whoddyaexpect?
It was MINI-UNIX/V6. Just requires a smart driver, not terribly
unlike one of the psuedo-dma pollers for a DZ11.
UNIX being 'bad for real time' is a myth perpetrated by vendors
who sell O/S's that are bad for anything else.

An even better idea is to go get a rusty old apple or some such,
add an A/D board, floppy and parallel board to hook it up to
the unix system and use it as an intelligent, programmable
A/D device with a 64KB buffer.

		-Barry Shein
		Boston University