Almost Accurrate Clock

Dan Ts'o dan at rna.UUCP
Tue Oct 2 03:34:06 AEST 1984

Hi,
	The discussion of using the Heath WWV receiver as a clock brings
a question to my mind. Does such a receiver used as a computer clock really
win over using the 60Hz line frequency ? Although for any short period of
time, if the receiver picks up WWV, its time keeping should be more accurate
than using the 60Hz, it is my understanding that the power companies strive
to make the long-range accuracy of the 60Hz signal very good. Whereas with
the WWV receiver, there would be no mechanism to insure that time losses
would be balanced by time gains. My current experience is that digital clocks
operating off the 60Hz are more accurate on a month by month or year by year
basis than most crystal-controlled watches.

					Cheers,
					Dan Ts'o
					...cmcl2!rna!dan