help needed with echo -e, S aed512

Jim Leinweber jiml at uwmacc.UUCP
Thu Oct 11 02:01:48 AEST 1984

   Recently we've been bringing up the S statistics and graphics
language under 4.2BSD, without too much trouble, once we reverted to
the old f77 compiler.  S is wonderful.  However, our AED512 graphics
terminal hangs while initializing.  The screen turns blue, as
advertised, the LED'S flash prettily, and the keyboard stops responding
till we push RESET.  It hangs both when AED512 is supplied to tset (as
opposed to, say, `dumb'), and when the aed512 driver is started in S,
presumably because they use similar initialization strings.  Has anyone
else had this problem?

    The trouble doesn't seem to be in the terminal, as it works fine
with S in tek12 emulation mode, and as an AED with our other (non-unix)
computers.  I have not gone through the assembly language code the
initialization sequence pokes into the terminal yet,  but it seems to
be correctly bracketed with the relevant escape sequences.  In the
meantime, I notice that in $C/AEDSIZE  there are 'echo -e ...'
commands. Our versions of echo do not support an -e flag; does anyone
know what it is supposed to do?

			Puzzled in Madison,
			Jim Leinweber

usenet:  ...!{allegra,ihnp4,seismo,...}!uwvax!uwmacc!jiml
arpa:	jiml%uwmacc at wisc-rsch.ARPA
postal:	Jim Leinweber, MACC, 1210 W. Dayton St., Madison Wi 53706, USA
phone:	(608) 256-8884, USA