Versions non-solution

Dick Dunn rcd at opus.UUCP
Tue Oct 9 13:53:49 AEST 1984

> Good grief!  I thought that everyone had aliased "rm" to "mv".

Huh?!  Are we trying to solve the problem by ignoring it?

> Try putting these lines in your .cshrc:
>
> # safe rm.  moves things to /tmp, where the system can garbage collect
> alias   rm      'mv \!* /tmp/wunder'
>
> You are free to use your own login name instead of mine for your...

This doesn't work well in the face of system crashes if your system works
as ours does, in two respects:

	We don't have a lot of space in /tmp.  Making everyone else's
	compilations (etc., etc.) bomb out so that you can have your own
	personal file wastebasket overflowing is not kindly regarded around
	here.

	We clean out /tmp on rebooting (as happens after a crash), so if
	the files you want to hang on to happen to be needed because of a
	crash while you were doing something, they'll all get blown away at
	the worst time.

And, of course, there's the oops-I'm-in-the-wrong-directory routine--you go
to clean up /tmp/myself only you space out the cd or some such and end up
cleaning out your work directory.  For most of the clever backup schemes,
there's a standard screwup that will zorch them.  In the end, there's no
substitute for plain old common stupidity...er, I mean...

--
Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
   ...Relax...don't worry...have a homebrew.