System V IPC administration

M. J. Shannon, Jr. mjs at rabbit.UUCP
Fri Oct 19 12:11:46 AEST 1984

There is only one way that I've used to deal with the problem
(having `projects' (you mean processes, right?) agree on IPC
keys).  That is to use the `ftok' subroutine, and give it an
argument of a file (which some sort of overseer process may need
to create), and meaningful (to the processes involved) sub-
identifiers.  I have a program which is essentially a database
server that uses the name of a file which is private to itself
as that file, and a few sub-identifiers to indicate the type of
traffic that will appear on the message queues involved.  In my
case, the client processes create the queues, and advertise
their existence on a special message queue (which could have
been a named-pipe except for some complications).  The server
would accept messages on this special queue, and then connect to
the queue the client identified in it's advertisement message.
There's more to my application, which I will discuss via mail
if you're interested, but I think this is general enough to be
useful netwide (to those who may be using Sys V IPC).
--
	Marty Shannon
UUCP:	{alice,rabbit,research}!mjs