4.2 BSD Disk Quotas -- What are your experiences with it?

Robert Elz kre at mulga.OZ
Mon Oct 1 20:25:17 AEST 1984

In article <451 at uwvax.UUCP> dave at uwvax.UUCP (Dave Cohrs) writes:
| If you update a disk quota for a person who is logged in (or has a process
| running with his/her uid) the machine will crash with a panic in the
| quota routines.  So, generally, set quotas when the machine is in single.
| If you change them while it is up multiuser (new users is an exception,
| chances of them being logged in is minimal) you can crash things.

There was a bug that caused a panic if quotas were changed for a user
who had recently deleted a file (users logged in, or who have recently
been logged in, usually delete quite a few files...).  I suspect this
is the bug referred to.  I will post the fix to net.bugs.4bsd.
(The panic this caused was "maknode: dquot", or "mkdir: dquot".)

Robert Elz				decvax!mulga!kre