Words wanted on 68000 invalid operand challenge

Arthur David Olson ado at elsie.UUCP
Wed Oct 10 05:20:26 AEST 1984

Recent articles have noted that some 68000 C compilers produce bogus
"Invalid Operand" messages when compiling a program like:

	#define MAXLLEN 80

	struct line {
		char    len;
		char    flags;
		char    l[MAXLLEN];
	};

	_fixlines() {
		register struct line *	lp;
		register char *		p;

		lp->len = p + 1 - lp->l;
	}

I'd appreciate it if some netnik could mail me a description of the class of
C language statements that cause problems so I can set up "lint" to
gripe about them.  This being the goal, it's a help if you can narrow
down the description of the offensive statements as much as possible to keep
lint from nattering needlessly.  Examples of working and failing code are fine.
--
UNIX and lint are AT&T Bell Laboratories and Oscar Madison trademarks