Problem Booting System 5 on 11/70

Doug Gwyn <gwyn> gwyn at brl-tgr.ARPA
Sat Oct 20 09:13:47 AEST 1984

> > He has an 11/70 with a western peripherals controller which emulates an
> > rm05.
>
> The underlying problem is that AT&T buys only certain combinations of
> peripherals for internal use, and doesn't test on other combinations.

(bit about Unibus controller trying to emulate a Massbus one omitted)

I think Henry has it right.  I would add that sometimes you can lean on
the foreign peripheral vendor (of the system interface module in most
cases) to provide patches to make their product work on your system, if
they advertised it as working there.  E.g. "Works under RSTS/E, RSX-11M,
and UNIX".