(more) nroff questions on italics/underscore

Dick Dunn rcd at opus.UUCP
Tue Oct 30 17:08:03 AEST 1984

(Anyone have experience with variable-width characters in nroff--a "poor
man's" proportional font?)

The parent article is mine, asking why nroff uses literal '_' for
underscoring for the underlined font.  I actually have a slightly larger
problem here - not only does it use the literal character, but it assumes
that it has width t.Char (the value of "Char" in the header part of the
driving table).  This has confounded my efforts to make any sort of non-
uniform character width, since the underlining is immediately thrown off.

[Example:  Suppose I try to set up for a 12-pitch (NOT point) font--I would
set Char to INCH/12.  However, say I wanted some characters to be half-width
(for the sake of illustration)--I would then set Char to INCH/24 and set
the widths of full-width characters to 2.  However, the underscoring is
wired in to assume that _ and \b have width Char, so underscoring a full-
width character produces __\b\b before the character.]

I'm trying to figure out if I'm missing something in the way the tables
work, or if it's just a code fix that I ought to make.  Ideas?