Multiple file versions -- FLAME ON!!

fouts at ames-nas-gw.arpa fouts at ames-nas-gw.arpa
Wed Oct 3 01:59:00 AEST 1984

From:  Martin Fouts <fouts at ames-nas-gw.arpa>

I agree with your opening comments about what UNIX was designed for,
but I disagree that system developers don't need the sort of facilities
I have been describing.  I am a system developer, and when I have had
some of these facilities I have been more productive then when I
haven't.

>From what I have heard (third hand by deviant paths) 8th Edition Unix
is just trying to solve that same problems that BSD tried to solve,
also by "grafting" missing features onto the system.

I do agree that it takes inspired thought to DESIGN elegant solutions,
but it takes grimey sweat to implement them.  Remember that much of the
elegence of the original design came from not having to deal with many
of the truely gritty problems of computing.