Plea for help

postmaster at CSNET-SH.ARPA postmaster at CSNET-SH.ARPA
Tue Oct 30 03:37:18 AEST 1984

From:  "Charlotte D. Mooers" <postmaster at CSNET-SH.ARPA>

      ------- Forwarded Message

      Date: Fri, 26 Oct 84 13:54:47 pdt
      From: 23050000 <ucscc!galaxy at ucb-vax.ARPA>
      To: unix-wizards at BRL-TGR.ARPA
      Subject: Help on reaching RPI

      ... With info from mmdf at csnet-relay, I've tried these routes:

      user%rpi%csnet-relay at ucbvax.UUCP
      user%rpi-mts%mit-multics.ARPA at ucbvax.UUCP

I have reviewed our earlier correspondence with you, and I have two
points to make:

First, it was not completely clear in your first message that you are
in fact attached to the ucsc host, which in a CSNET site.  The address
I gave you was for a uucp site with no other path to the CSNET than
the UCB-VAX, and although the address "user%rpi%csnet-relay at ucbvax"
should work, your best address is:

user%rpi at csnet-relay

if you are in fact on the ucsc host, or if your host will relay your
message directly to ucsc.  It is not necessary to go through UCB-VAX
to send messages from ucsc to csnet-relay over the CSNET.

Second, your first message indicated that you reached rpi and that
you received a return message "no such address".  I suggested that
you send an inquiry to the postmaster at rpi.  Did you try that?

      Each time I receive one of 5 or so error messages:  the most common --
      "Unknown mail trouble, try again in 3 days." ,

This appears to be from somewhere other than the CSNET, because the
csnet-relay does not generate this error message.

      ... and one that appears to
      hop between ucbvax and csnet-relay over and over. ...

      ------- End of Forwarded Message

I haven't been able to find a record of this; it may, of course, be
the type of error that is not recorded in our logs.  Could you send
me the headers of this message?

RPI is sending and receiving messages, and does not seem to have
problems recently.  Likewise, the traffic to and from ucsc and
ucb-vax seems to be running.

---Charlotte Mooers
   CSNET Staff