Wanted: ISO level 4

Sylvain Langlois sylvain at lvbull.UUCP
Sat Oct 20 10:46:27 AEST 1984

Sorry Barry, but ISO Transport has nothing to do with DOD IP. What you
should know about the "abstraction" is that there 5 different ISO
Transport (for the moment!!):
	- Class 0: simple class for very reliable networks,
	- Class 1: basic error recovery class,
	- Class 2:multiplexing class,
	- Class 3: error recovery and multiplexing class,
	- Class 4: error detection and recovery class for unreliable nets.
In fact, Transport Class 4 is somewhat similar to TCP. All of these
classes are connection oriented and based on a connection oriented
network service. I'm actually working on a Transport Class 4 based on a
connectionless oriented network service. The code has been written in a
V7 kernel environnement and I think about switching to a 4.2BSD implementation
soon. I can tell that there is no abstraction there!

--- Sylvain Langlois (....mcvax!vmucnam!lvbull!sylvain) ---