Wanted: New process scheduler; building baby-OS emulator

idallen at watmath.UUCP idallen at watmath.UUCP
Tue Oct 9 16:11:40 AEST 1984

> From sdyer at bbncca.ARPA (Steve Dyer) Mon Oct  8 12:58:22 1984
>
> Rather than spending time hacking the UNIX scheduler, it would be time
> better spent building a baby-OS emulator which runs in a single UNIX
> process yet simulates multi-tasking.  Each student would link his own
> routines into the emulator, and a runaway student project would merely
> be a single runaway process, a situation more commonly seen and handled.

I think this would make it awkward to use documentsed UNIX features such
as pipes, nice, and job control, which depend on being able to use fork()
and creating separate processes.  I'd hate to have to rewrite the UNIX
manual for the O/S course -- I'd rather that UNIX bent a little to
accomodate our users.  It isn't just students that have runaway processes,
so the slice-per-uid scheduler is generally useful.
--
        -IAN!  (Ian! D. Allen)      University of Waterloo