Make incompatible with source control?

chris chris at pixutl.UUCP
Fri Oct 26 03:34:42 AEST 1984

>	Wednesday:  Source Administrator makes global
>		change to headers of all project source
>		files.
>
>	Thursday: Programmer `make's a new version
>		and wipes out two day's work.

	The problem of overwriting source files if the SCCS parent file
	was modified can be helped a great deal by changing the $(GET) lines
	in rules.c from:

	"\t$(GET) $(GFLAGS) -p $< > $*.c",

	to:

	"\t$(GET) $(GFLAGS) $<",

	and let 'get' check if the file is writable. I have done this and
	prefer it to the original.

	I have also modified 'make' to look for SCCS files in a
	./SCCS directory if it doesn't find them in the current
	directory (I like to keep SCCS files in a their own
	directory), and if anybody is interested, I will send
	them the changes or post them.

	Chris
--

 Chris Bertin            :         (617) 657-8720 x2318
 Pixel Computer Inc.     :