TOC for Microsystems (and demise of said journal)

Ian F. Darwin ian at utcs.UUCP
Wed Oct 24 13:24:25 AEST 1984

	From: jr at foros1.UUCP (John Rogers)
	Subject: TOC for Microsystems, Oct-84 (volume 5 issue 10)

	TABLE OF CONTENTS FOR Microsystems, Oct-84 (volume 5 number 10)

	[NOTE:  This article is being posted to net.unix-wizards because I
	think this issue of Microsystems will interest lots of people.  Read
	on!]

	[NOTE 2:  I've heard that Microsystems is going defunct.  I dunno.
	This issue arrived in the mail a few weeks ago, like always, so it's
	probably available in the store too.]

Alas, the bad news is true. You heard it here last. Microsystems is
indeed being closed down. Ziff-Davis installed new management in their
computer division, and they decided to close this magazine.
November, 1984 will be the final issue.
(biased comment: the good die young).

	ARTICLES:	"The Worlds of UNIX", by Mark Rollins

			"The Evolution of the UNIX Timesharing System", by
			Dennis Ritchie [Dennis who? :-)  This is a reprint of an
			article from the Symposium on Language Design and
			Programming Methodology in 1979, I think.  It's *very*
			interesting.]

The final issue, in November, has a follow-on article which I (modestly)
hope you will also find very interesting, covering roughly the
time period 1975 to 1979. This was to have been part 1 of an n-part
article; with the demise of the magazine I will be looking for alternate
publishers for parts 2-n.

			"A Conversation with [Dennis] Ritchie and [Ken]
			Thompson" [an interview done in August, which talks
			about the split between the research and development
			groups at Bell Labs.  Good reading, although it doesn't
			have too much meat.  No details about the 8th Edition;
			oh, well...]
I agree with your analysis. Rollins & Terry [the interviewers] did
what they could, but the interview was not intended to be too technical.
The interviewers' background is in various mini- and micro-computer
systems, and they did not pretend to be UNIX experts; nor did the
magazine cater exclusively to UNIX (though it was moving to an
increased emphasis on same).

	COLUMNS:	"The UNIX File", by Ian Darwin [Reviews "A Practical
			Guide to the UNIX System", complains about too many
			introductory books on UNIX.]

			[Other columns omitted as being too boring.]
Thanks for not omitting mine!

--
Ian Darwin, Toronto
ihnp4!darwin!ian