Hanging VAX 11/780 - any solutions?

Guy Harris guy at rlgvax.UUCP
Wed Oct 3 08:46:16 AEST 1984

> If your 4.nBSD VAX hangs, you may force a dump by halting it and ...
>
> 	>>H
> 	>>E/P/L 4
> 		P	00000004	number
> 	>>C number

You can also use the "CRASH" command script that comes on the Berkeley
11/780 boot floppy (I seem to remember it being part of the build script
for the floppy, anyway; I know it's on our floppy); it's only "bug" is
that the comments it prints out say something about crashing a VMS system,
but UNIX dies just as nicely as VMS when you jam a nasty value into the PC...

Just type a ^P and type "@CRASH" when you get the prompt.

Don't know whether any such script exists for 730s or 750s, or whether
the Berkeley cassettes include them.

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy