Multiple file versions.

fouts at ames-nas-gw.arpa fouts at ames-nas-gw.arpa
Wed Oct 3 05:20:00 AEST 1984

From:  Martin Fouts <fouts at ames-nas-gw.arpa>

Actually, all of the things on my wish list of been implemented in one
system or another, most before 1975, although a lot of the early
emphasis was on their use in batch systems.

We are looking at MDQS, but still have to solve the problem of
checkpointing jobs, which is just one of the mundane problems related
to the way compute intensive numerical calcuations are done now.

I agree, from the point of view of data compression that RCS / SCCS
provide a better solution than version number schemes.  But a version
number system which stored diffs rather than whole files would have the
same advantages in this context.   I also agree that version numbering
should be an option, but I still maintain that situations arrive in
which keeping (in some sense) all versions of a file make sense.