ULTRIX

Mark Weiser mark at gymble.UUCP
Fri Sep 28 14:23:08 AEST 1984

We bought Ultrix on our 2 750's delivered this summer because
we had not yet received our 4.2 tapes from Berkeley.  Ultrix
came up fine, nice documentation.  Since then we got the real
McCoy and switched for reasons of source availability (we had
ordered the source to Ultrix from DEC, but it has yet to come).
The switch did not work very well because vanilla 4.2 uda50
disk controllers have bugs.  After fixing these up all was ok.
(At least DEC knows how to talk
to their own devices).  Another advantage of Ultrix will
presumably be that field service will know how to interpret
its error messages, which are a little different from vanilla 4.2.
--
Spoken: Mark Weiser 	ARPA:	mark at maryland
CSNet:	mark at umcp-cs 	UUCP:	{seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!mark