ULTRIX

mwm at ea.UUCP mwm at ea.UUCP
Tue Sep 25 08:04:00 AEST 1984

/***** ea:net.unix-wizar / fortune!tierney /  5:33 pm  Sep 21, 1984 */
	ULTRIX was developed for VAXen by the VMS wizards at DEC.
	So how does the efficiency of VAX/ULTRIX compare to
	VAX/VMS?

	Anyone care to conjecture?

Charlie Tierney

One of the DEC Unix people was by here a few days ago, and we talked about
that. Ultrix-32 *is* 4.2BSD, with changes to the error logging code to be
compatabile with VMS.  Sorry, it wasn't written by the DEC VMS wizards, and
isn't much faster than standard Unix. However, I hear that it *is* faster
than VMS 4.0.

Side note - it appears that the DEC Ultrix-32 project is going to be
MORE/bsd (from MtXinu). How much of MtXinu will move with the OS is unkown.

	Pure Intellect One
	<mike