Q: lseek returns long or int? (BSD 4.2)

Alan Green aug at cybvax0.UUCP
Tue Sep 11 12:40:36 AEST 1984

[ What is a blank line eater?  Does it eat the first line? ]

Documentation (BSD 4.2 UNIX) for lseek(2) under section 'SYNOPSIS':

>    pos = lseek(d, offset, whence)
>    int pos;
>    int d, offset, whence;

Documentation (BSD 4.2 UNIX) for fseek(3S) under section 'SYNOPSIS':

>    fseek(stream, offset, ptrname)
>    FILE *stream;
>    long offset;
>
>    long ftell(stream)
>    FILE *stream;

	Does lseek return a long or an int, and is the argument offset a long
or an 'int'.  (On other machines it returns a long)

	I realize a long and an int are the same on a VAX (the machine I use):
but, lint considers them different.

	Does any know of a machine where a long and an int are different AND
lseek (or fseek) returns an int?

		Please, reply via Mail
		Thanks in advance,
		Alan Green

aug!cybvax0!mit-eddie!???	(I don't know my full address, how do I figure
				 it out?)