assembler bug

boehm at RICE.ARPA boehm at RICE.ARPA
Sun Sep 9 09:13:37 AEST 1984

From:  Hans Boehm <boehm at RICE.ARPA>

  The VAX 4.2 assembler does not appear to handle certain extended branch
instructions correctly in the presence of multiple text segments.  In
particular I have been having trouble with a forward jeql with a
displacement of roughly 400 or 500 bytes.  There are no intervening
changes of segment between the branch and its destination.  There
are however multiple switches between text 0 and text 1 preceding it.
It assembles correctly if the preceding .text directives are removed.
Has anyone encountered this problem? Any fixes?
  (This was tried with or without the -J and various -d options.
The offending program is appr 1400 lines long.  I will be happy to send
it to any interested party.  I haven't had time to try to generate a
shorter example.)
					Hans Boehm
					(Boehm at rice)