ULTRIX

tierney at fortune.UUCP tierney at fortune.UUCP
Fri Sep 21 13:09:54 AEST 1984

I have a question about ULTRIX:

	(Background) I went to Northeastern U. in Boston,
	and we had one VAX running VMS with everything
	you can fit into the box (mostly memory and terminal
	boards).  Near the end of the quarter, it was not
	unusual to find > 120 people logged on simultaneously!

	I once asked whether UNIX would not be a better OS,
	and I received the following answer:

	UNIX may be a nice OS, but it is not as efficient
	as VMS for the VAX.  In other words, I can run
	120 users on my VAX under VMS and many fewer under
	UNIX.

MY QUESTION:

	ULTRIX was developed for VAXen by the VMS wizards at DEC.
	So how does the efficiency of VAX/ULTRIX compare to
	VAX/VMS?

	Anyone care to conjecture?

Charlie Tierney
                  { hpda harpo ihnp4 cbosgd } !fortune!tierney
DEC                   { decvax !decwrl !amd } !fortune!tierney
Berkeley                      { ucbvax !amd } !fortune!tierney

MaBell:  (415) 595-8444
USnail:  Fortune Systems, 101 Twin Dolphin Drive, Redwood City, California 94065