Symbolics Laser Help Wanted

Robert Hornburg hornburg at ittral.UUCP
Fri Sep 21 21:45:30 AEST 1984

Greetings...  Does anyone out there in net land have any experience
with making a Symbolics Laser Printer work with the Leroy (Cires
drafting package)?  Whenever I tried using the package with the plot
option supplied by Symbolics I always ended up with a core dump from
the spooler (sucker generated a mountain characters).

Looking at the technical documentation I found that our laser will
interpret a subset of the Tektronix 4014, a valid Leroy plot option.
When using this option I noticed that when trying to change line modes
to have the laser do a dotdashed line the laser went shuffling off to
Buffalo, seems that the command string sent to the laser was a native
mode command that allows the user to define a block of raster data.  I
had to power off/on the laser in order to allow the rest of the users a
chance at the machine after I tried altering line modes.

Having a twitching desire to get this up and working I looked at the
plot option supplied by Symbolics and noticed that their function for
altering line modes is dummied out.

While I wander back to Symbolics in hopes of finding the proverbial
fountain of wisdom I was wondering if anyone with a Symbolics laser has
it working with the Leroy package (real straw puller but had to ask
it), developed a better plot option than that supplied by Symbolics
that they'd be willing to share, or has come across something similiar
to this and has some ideas they're willing to share with one that has
exhausted a lot of his own.

Please send all responses, good or bad, to me directly, some of the
newsgroups I'm posting to I rarely get time to read.

-Bob Hornburg
 (ittvax!ittral!hornburg)