bringing up 2.9 on 11/23: memory problems

Kim Wallen {Psychology} kim at emory.UUCP
Sat Sep 29 02:39:27 AEST 1984

I am trying to bring up generic 2.9bsd on an 11/23 with 224k memory.
The system signals 40boot.  When I boot it from the rl boot I get the
banner and then   mem = 111296    followed by no clock??
Immediately after this the system prints the following:
ka6 = 3465
aps = 124376
pc = 6142 ps = 351
__ovno = 2
trap type 11
panic: trap

and dies.

It seems clear that something is going wrong in memory and happens in
overlay # 2, but I am stymied about where I should go looking.

DEC service has checked all of our components out and find no evidence
of hardware problems.  Can this problem come about as a result of the
order that boards are installed in the backplane.  We have two of the
memory boards after a dlv11-J board.

Any hints ore help would be greatly appreciated.

Kim Wallen
Psychology Dept.
Emory University
Atlanta, Ga 30322