packet driver for uucp

William L. Sebok wls at astrovax.UUCP
Fri Sep 28 14:57:43 AEST 1984

I recall seeing vague references in the uucp documention and a few references
in the uucico source to a kernel packet driver.  Is anybody out there running
a kernel packet driver for uucp? Or does anybody know of someone who has
such a beast?  We are short on cpu cycles and uucico, when it is running,
takes a very noticable chunk of cpu time.  Any way that it can be speeded up
I am in favor of (therefore no religous flames please about why it doesn't
belong in the kernel).  Running characters a few per system call through the
Unix terminal drivers has to be horribly inefficient.  It would seem that it
could be implemented as another "line discipline".  We are running 4.2 BSD.
--
Bill Sebok			Princeton University, Astrophysics
{allegra,akgua,burl,cbosgd,decvax,ihnp4,noao,princeton,vax135}!astrovax!wls