4.2 script mystery problem

Stephen J. Hartley hartley at uvm-cs.UUCP
Wed Apr 10 23:05:20 AEST 1985

  The program script has stopped working on our 750 (still works on our 780).
It types out "Script started, file is typescript" then "Stopped (tty input)".
As best as I can tell the forked shell is trying to read from the terminal
rather than a tty pseudo-device.  I tried removing them all and then "MAKEDEV
pty0" in /dev but the problem persists.  Is there some way that the pseudo-
terminals can stop working that anybody knows of?  We run 4.2 BSD on both
machines.  The pty's are configured into the kernels of both machines, along
with the INET option.  A reboot does not fix the problem.  Script worked on
both machines for a while, then quit on just the 750.
  Another clue:  crypt key <infile >outfile works on the 780 but not on the
750.  On the 750, crypt tries to obtain the key from stdin (infile) rather
than prompting from /dev/tty.
  Does anybody have any idea what might be going on here?  Thanks.
--
"If that's true, then I'm the Pope!"		Stephen J. Hartley
USENET:	decvax!dartvax!uvm-gen!uvm-cs!hartley	The University of Vermont