RA60 hard error on 4.2BSD

Mark C. Mason mmason at psu-cs.UUCP
Mon Apr 22 15:28:03 AEST 1985

>      uda0: hard error, disk transfer error, unit 0, grp 0x0, hdr 0x26aec
>      uda0: hard error, SDI error, unit 0, event 0353, hdr 0x0
>
> The second error repeats about 6 times.

> 	What do these errors mean?  I'm not an expert on device drivers,
> anyone had similar problems or know of a cause?  Or better yet a fix?

	Ever since our DEC service rep started replacing the spindle
brushes on our 3 ra81s on a regular basis, we have had this problem all
but disappear.  When the error messages start cropping up again, usually
after about 3 mo., we check the brushes and usually find one or two that
need replacement.  You might also persuade your rep to check the hardware
revs on your disks;  new ones seem to come out about twice a year.

					Mark