Ultrix 32

Mike Stalnaker mike at dolqci.UUCP
Tue Apr 23 05:28:48 AEST 1985

We've had Ultrix up for just about 6 months now; some general comments
Ultrix-32 (and Ultrix-32m -- the subset of Ultrix-32 for microVAX) is
based on 4.2 BSD (although I understand that Ultrix-32 1.1 has
everything that 4.3 BSD has).  Is is completely compatible with 4.2BSD
-- same languages, same binary formats, same library formats, same
system calls, etc.  Digital added some things (applications and
drivers) but did not take anything away.  The error logging and
reporting was changed to comply with what a DEC FE expects to see.
VAX diagnostics may reside (and be booted I guess) on an Ultrix F/S.
It was made fully installable, configurable and re-configurable from
binaries (although sources are available).  The installation procedure
is ques/ans driven.  In addition there are some System V utilities
added (eg, cpio, cut, paste) as well as DECnet support, a Modula2
compiler, and other stuff as well as support for certain 3rd party
applications.  System V IPC is available (supported by the Ultrix
Applications Center in Landover, Md, for now.)  The system has been very
reliable since we first brought it on-line six months ago.  I have had
the system crash a total of 5 times, 3 from my own dumb mistakes (while
mucking about with adb) and twice from heat (the computer room here has
very poor air-conditioning.)  Support from DEC's staff has been
excellent.  In the initial release, uucp and tip did not support several
modem types, simply because the code had not been compiled into uucp and
tip.  I called the UAC (Ultrix Application Center), and the next day,
they shipped me re-compiled versions of the software including additional
support.  Since that time, I have encountered several minor problems that
I needed source code changes to fix, and the people at the UAC have been
exceptionally cooporative in helping me out.  (If you buy the source
code lisence, somthing I highly reccomend for ANY U*x system, most of
things I've had to deal with would be 1/2 hour fixes).  In fact, these
were not really fixes, so much as enhancements.  If I can be of any
futher help, or answer any questions, please don't hesitate to contact
me.

--

  Mike Stalnaker  UUCP:{decvax!grendel,cbosgd!seismo}!dolqci!mike
		  AT&T:202-376-2593

		  "You can have peace, or you can have freedom.
		   Never count on having both at the same time."
						-Lazarus Long.