Problems with our tape drive

Carl Lowenstein cdl at mplvax.UUCP
Sun Apr 28 09:45:26 AEST 1985

In article <499 at daemen.UUCP> boyce at daemen.UUCP (Buck Wheat) writes:

>and one Kennedy tape drive.  It is configured to the 'tm' interface
>and is defined as 'te0'.  A lot of times we get a 'te0: lost interrupt'
>when doing 'mt fsf' and the tape continues to spin till the end.

The tm(4) device handler thinks that any tape operation that takes
more than a small number of seconds (5 from my memory) is a mistake.
If you have a moderate-sized file and a suitably slow tape drive,
it will take more than 5 seconds to skip it.  You either have to skip
files by reading an infinite number of records, or else you have to
hack at the handler.

--
	carl lowenstein		marine physical lab	u.c. san diego
	{ihnp4|decvax|akgua|dcdwest|ucbvax}	!sdcsvax!mplvax!cdl