4.2 quirks...

BostonU SysMgr root%bostonu.csnet at CSNET-RELAY.ARPA
Fri Apr 12 04:40:23 AEST 1985

>From: "Dan Heller (aka Frank" <ucscc!argv at UCB-VAX.ARPA>
>To: unix-wizards at BRL.ARPA
>Subject: 4.2 quirks...
>
>% mkdir foo
>% chmod 000 foo
>% cd foo
>foo: no such file or directory
>% WHAT?
>no match.

I assume you are surprised by by the fact that shutting off the
permissions to a directory you own makes it impossible for you
to change to it. That's not a quirk, that's a bona-fide feature.
What else could turning off your own permissions mean? Why have
them? I personally find this a real plus under UNIX in general,
it's *nice* to be able to protect me from me as usually my files
are in the gravest danger from *me*.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University