any documentation on how to use pstat, iostat, etc?

David Sherman dave at lsuc.UUCP
Thu Apr 25 13:47:09 AEST 1985

Last month's UNIX Review was devoted to performance on UNIX,
and the articles raised a number of interested points. One
thing mentioned in several articles was the various tools -
pstat, iostat, ps, etc. - which are standard on UNIX.
However, there wasn't a lot of detail on how to use these
programs -- exactly what to look for in all the data you can get.

Does anyone have a kind of "Wizard's Guide" to this kind of
stuff? Something geared to v7 (or, ideally, to Perkin-Elmer's
Edition VII) would be of most value to me.
(My immediate interest is in monitoring memory usage so
I can figure out how much of memory is being used and
how much swapping is going on; pstat and ps both show
numbers for sizes, but they don't indicate the breakdown
between text and data where programs are shared-text.)

Dave Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
Osgoode Hall
Toronto, Canada  M5H 2N6
--
{  ihnp4!utzoo  pesnta  utcs  hcr  decvax!utcsri  }  !lsuc!dave