Is ULTRIX-11 really slow?

mcdermot at unmvax.UUCP mcdermot at unmvax.UUCP
Sat Apr 27 00:27:43 AEST 1985

A friend recently brought up ultrix-11 on a microPDP11 with
an 11/73 processor.  He claims that with 2 users running the
system is really slow.  DEC support told him that ultrix-11
has NO BUFFERING on terminal I/O (that is, characters are
all output as they are sent to the driver).  And that there
is no buffering in the usual stdio routines.

I don't have the source, but this seems a bit strange to me.
The 2.9 system here does not have these "features" nor did
our old 2.8.

Any ideas/remarks/truths?

john
--

John McDermott			{gatech|ucbvax|convex|pur-ee}!unmvax!mcdermot
Univ of NM			W (505) 277-4650