750 not rebooting after panic

at csnet-relay.arpa at csnet-relay.arpa
Tue Apr 16 21:16:34 AEST 1985

We recently started having this problem (i.e., the boot sequence parks
right before the "Automatic reboot ..." message).  The problem only
surfaced after we started running a kernal that uses our eagle as a primary
swap device.  I have heard that the boot procedure can get hung at this point
if the primary swap device is not ready.  I've generated a namelist of the
kernal and plan to halt the VAX and find out where it's stalled the next time
this problem manifests itself.

I've been seeing some postings lately describing a problem in which they
have to reset there SI 9900 controller.  I've had this problem, but not
when the system was up and running, but after a power failure when the
system is re-booting.  I bring it up here only because I have a vague
suspicion that it is related to the above problem.

BTW, we are running 4.2 on a VAX 11/750, rooted on a fuji-160 with SI 9400
controller, and an eagle with SI 9900 controller as the primary swap
device.

Al Conrad
Computer and Information Sciences
University of California at Santa Cruz