UNIX groups (/etc/group)

Barry Shein root at bu-cs.UUCP
Thu Apr 4 10:06:23 AEST 1985

>User asks why the distribution tape contains bin and sys users
>with similarly distributed groups, complains that no one answers

(maybe silence is an answer but, being as they hired me here to
do management I will make up an answer right on the spot, much
more info is generated by people correcting another's attempt.)

As I remember, these 'users' were on our original V6 RK05.

Theories:
	1. Someone had to own the software that was coming off
	the tape. These psuedo-users did and started you off on
	the right foot for splicing up permissions among your
	tech support group.

	2. Dennis Ritchie's nickname is sys and Ken Thompson's
	nickname is bin, hence the users. Leave them alone, it
	would be impolite to delete their accounts.

		-Barry Shein, Boston University