Bugs in system accounting on 4.2

Craig Partridge craig at loki.ARPA
Fri Apr 19 04:42:51 AEST 1985

I've quickly looked over the USENIX list and haven't seen this bug
listed and wonder if someone else has seen/fixed it.

We have users who want to bill to more than one accounting group during
one session, so we have written a little utility which allows users to
fire up programs with accounting and file access groups set
as they desire (the program allows them to set real & effective gid
and the groups list).  We have confirmed that this program does indeed
set all the groups stuff (real and effective gids) correctly.

Unfortunately, the accounting data still seems to be wrong in some cases.
In particular, in a session of this form

===================================
<toplevel>$ newgrps -a newacctgrp	/* create a subshell w/ newacctgrp */
<subshell>$ bigprogram
^C
<subshell>$ logo			/* nuke this shell and parent */

Login:

we are seeing the CPU cycles all billed to the accounting group of the
login shell.  It looks like interrupted processes aren't writing their
accounting data properly.

Anyone seen anything like this?  Got any fixes?

Craig Partridge
craig at bbn-loki (ARPA)
ihnp4!bbncca!craig (USENET)
craig%loki.arpa at csnet-relay (CSNET)