Relative speed of Bourne vs. C Shells - C Shell is faster.

Ed Gould ed at mtxinu.UUCP
Thu Apr 18 03:29:35 AEST 1985

> > 	#! /bin/awk -f
>
> Near as I can tell, the first line only works if you are running the
> C shell under 4BSD, which interprets the #! business.

On 4.1BSD and later systems, #! is a magic number that the kernel
exec routine recognizes.  The format of the line is

    #!<space-or-tab><interpreter-full-path-name><space-or-tab><argument>\n

Only one argument may be supplied.  Any interpreter may be specified;
the above example uses /bin/awk rather than the more common /bin/sh
and /bin/csh.

--
Ed Gould		    mt Xinu, 739 Allston Way, Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146