TERMCAPs extensions...

BostonU SysMgr root%bostonu.csnet at csnet-relay.arpa
Fri Apr 5 10:56:14 AEST 1985

We are starting to get systems that will emulate some terminal in
a window but are quite willing to create arbitrary height/width
which is nice.

The obvious problem is telling TERMCAP about all this. The 'hack'
solution is to 'printenv > foo', change foo, source foo (csh.)
This is a nuisance but works.

What occurs to me is to create environment variables HEIGHT and
WIDTH and thus it's a simple matter of a 'setenv' to change things
which is pretty easy to get the workstation to send or to type in.
The tgetnum() routine could be changed so if it is asked for co or li
it can check these first (or maybe a new cap added like a bool CV,LV
for column variable, line variable or whatever though the first is
more transparent.)

This is all far too trivial to bother this list about, my real question
is:

	This must have been solved several times, how? Standards?

		-Barry Shein, Boston University

P.S. Yes I know TOPS-20 has this (I always get those kind of answers!)