Extending the UNIX pathname syntax

dfk at unido.UUCP dfk at unido.UUCP
Sat Apr 27 06:00:00 AEST 1985

	>/***** unido:net.unix-wizar / boring!jack /  7:19 pm  Apr 24, 1985*/
	>
	>Something like /dev/net/blablabla is something that I've wanted
	>to implement for a long long time now, only I haven't found
	>the time yet.

Well it sure sounds nice.

	>Has anyone implemented something like this already? Anyone feels
	>like doing so? Any comments?

If I remember it correctly, a similar idea was in the original proposal for
networking from UCB. It was a special socket called a "portal".
A process listening to such a socket would be passed the "blablabla" part of
the pathname.
I am not sure wether the automatic creation of the server was in the
proposal too.

It sounds like a very clean (UNIX like) way to assign names to many
things we currently name in rather crude ways.

Since nothing of the sort is in 4.2 this seems not to be that trivial
to implement and I don't get the impression that people at Berkeley
are still thinking about it. Does anybody have an idea why this is so ?

-Daniel Karrenberg 	<dfk at unido.uucp>