Stty/Gtty on System III and PC/IX?

Doug Gwyn <gwyn> gwyn at brl-tgr.ARPA
Mon Apr 1 14:34:01 AEST 1985

Stty/gtty were system calls on all UNIXes for a long time.
Yes, they're effectively 7th Edition TIOCSETP/TIOCGETP ioctls.

When the new USG terminal driver was introduced, the stty/gtty
system calls were still supported (via emulation in the kernel)
for a transitional period.  This code was shipped as part of
the official Western Electric UNIX System III distributions.

I forget whether TIOCSETP/TIOCGETP ioctls (as opposed to stty/
gtty system calls) were ever supported by USG UNIX.  They may
have been in some versions as a 7th Edition compatibility measure.

If there is no stty() or gtty() in your C library, then it does
sound as though ISC decided to remove them for some reason (perhaps
to keep the kernel small).  You can write user-level emulations to
add to the C library; I have exactly the OPPOSITE emulation in
various UNIX System V emulations.  Better to just convert to the
new terminal handler and have done with it.