Help with uucp

Shawn McKay shawn at mit-eddie.UUCP
Thu Apr 4 06:12:33 AEST 1985

Greetings,
I wonder if any of you folks out there in net land are/have been
faced with a problem similar to the one outlined below. All help
and ideas are most welcome, and appriciated.

Problem:
	I have two serial lines (cul0/cul1/cua0/cua1) that share links
	to /dev/tty01, and /dev/tty02. Thease are used as terminal lines
	on which users may dial up the system. I would also like to use
	them to connect to other systems via uucp.

question:
	How can I tell uucico that this terminal is going to have a shell
	or a getty on it, and if it's logged on (i.e. line in utmp with
	a non zero length uname), NOT to use this line, or if no line in
	/etc/utmp, to disable the line, and use it?

The major problem in doing this outside of uucico, is that I can't allways
be sure where uucico is going to dial to make the call, by the time my
program outside uucico is doing loading uucico, something major might have
changed, causing uucico to dial out on a still enabled line. (i.e. a user
logged out on the line ahead of the planned line of use).

I tried to figure out the best place to install such a routine in conn.c
but with the 4.2bsd uucico, this is hardly an easy task. The uucico under
bsd4.2 is so powerful it outsmarts itself. (sigh).

Like I said, any and all help is greatly appriciated. I will post a summary
if there is a worth while amount of intrest.

		Yours In Hacking,
		  -- Shawn

Uucp: mit-eddie!shawn
Arpa: Shawn at Mit-Mc