Problems with SI disk drives

David E. Boone boone at mmm.UUCP
Sun Apr 7 15:42:46 AEST 1985

Hello. I supervise a Vax 780 system running BSD4.2.
Our disk drives consist of 3 SI 9766 (rm05 equivalents) and a si
9900 controller. we are utilizing the si suplied disk driver
but otherwise our system is "off the tape".

Periodically, our system just freezes. Until recently we fixed
by rebooting. The other day someone tried hitting the controller
reset switch. Lo and behold the disk driver initialized and the
system picked up exactly where it left off. No user lost as much
as a key stroke.

can anyone explain this behavior?

please no flames about the 9766. they were purchsed for political
reasons and they are soon on the way out the door in favor of eagles.
(but the 9900 stays.)

ihnp4!mmm! boone

david boone 612-733-2264