Relative speed of Bourne vs. C Shells - C Shell is faster.

Spencer W. Thomas thomas at utah-gr.UUCP
Tue Apr 16 02:17:13 AEST 1985

In article <162 at hadron.UUCP> jsdy at hadron.UUCP (Joseph S. D. Yao) writes:
>Near as I can tell, the first line only works if you are running the
>C shell under 4BSD, which interprets the #! business.

This is a common misconception, that has been "cleared up" many times on
this newsgroup.  It is NOT THE CSH that interperts the #! business, but
the kernel.  (I have also heard claims that execvp does it.  This is not
true either.)  Again: the KERNEL interprets the #! "magic number", NOT
THE SHELL.

(Will this be the last time? (Of course not!))
--
=Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas at utah-cs.ARPA)
	"Controversy equalizes fools and wise men in the same way