remote logins not showing up in 'w' command

Steve Herber herber at bgsuvax.UUCP
Tue Jun 11 01:53:43 AEST 1985

Wh have recently installed an ethernet consisting of Interlan NA1010A
UNIBUS controller modules to connect a VAX 11/785 to a VAX 11/780, both
are running 4.2BSD.  I have gotten all of the configuration files
updated properly (I think...) like /etc/hosts, /etc/networks, /etc/rc, etc.
Everything seems to work properly.  I can use rlogin to login to the
other VAX on the network.  I can use rcp and rsh to send file across the
network.

OK.... So here's the problem.  When I rlogin to the second VAX and do a
'w' or 'who' command, the user logged into the pseudo terminal from the
network does not show up in the list.  I can use the 'ps' command and see
the user's processes having a pty for a controlling terminal but the
/etc/utmp and /usr/adm/wtmp files are not being updated when the rlogin
occurs.  I have the same problem if I use the telnet software to make
a remote connection.

I have asked a number of other sites about this and noone knows of a
'bug' in the ethernet software to cause this problem.  Everything works,
its just that I don't know who's using the ethernet.  Any ideas????

					Thanks for the help....
						Steve Herber
						bgsuvax!herber
						herber at bgsu.CSNET