remote logins not showing up in 'w' command

Paul Fries paul at ubvax.UUCP
Fri Jun 14 01:05:40 AEST 1985

Although I am not a rlogin user (we at Ungermann-Bass Inc. generally
use our own networking that supports full connectivity between terminals
and our hosts, so our terminals aren't connected to the hosts directly...
we can simply call the host we want from our terminals.) I have gotten
the impression that rlogin is handled through the uucp login.  Thus,
your "rlogin"s would appear to be "uucp" logins that are running "uuxqt".

I think this is supported by the fact that "rlogin" doesn't require a
password.  If "login" was being used, you would see the user in a "w",
but you would have to give a password.