definitions (trade secret, copyright, etc.) and the courts

Joe Pistritto jcp at BRL-TGR.ARPA
Fri Mar 8 13:23:49 AEST 1985

	I think that a strong case can be made for the inclusion of
object in the same catagory as source re trade secret protection, in that
the object can be considered an encoded version of the source.  This sort
of thing is used to protect visual material when broadcast electronically,
even if the broadcast is scrambled in some way.  I once heard of a case
where a small television cable outfit was recording the scrambled broadcasts
of a Pay-TV service, decoding them used a decode they built themselves to
'recover' the original programming, and rebroadcasting without permission.
You could view the object of a program and disassembly in much the same
way.

								-JCP-