DMF-32 and 4.2bsd bugs

paul paul at uoregon.UUCP
Sat Mar 23 12:07:00 AEST 1985

>    /*** uoregon:net.unix-wizar / asuvax!system /  8:41 am  Feb 20, 1985*/
>	We run 4.2bsd on a Vax11/780.  We have 4 DEC dz's and 2 Emulex
>	DMF-32's on a single Unibus.  The problem we're running into is
>	that the getty's on the DMF's start to die off.  I can re-initialize
>	them only by shutdowning the system down or editing /etc/ttys to
>	disable the ports which have died, doing a kill -1 1, and then re-edit
>	ttys to enable the ports with another kill -1 1.  Trying to initialize
>	the ports with a kill -1 1 prior to editing the file does not work. The
>	getty's die off at random times and on random ports.  The DZ's are
>	fine.  Does anyone know of a driver bug or had this problem
>	themselves?  Does anyone have a more reasonable solution to reactive
>	these ports?

We`re having problems too.  In addition to getty's dying, the init's
for the ports with modem control stop listening for DCD, which should
cause a getty to be started for that port.  I can fix that by killing those
init's with "kill -INT nnn".  The new init's seem to work for awhile before
they hang.  Any suggestions or bug fixes will be appreciated.  We`re running
4.2bsd on a Vax11/750 with 2 DEC DMF-32's.  Our other systems have dz's--no
problems.

paul e. bloch
uucp: ...tektron!uoregon!paul
phone: (503) 686-4408